Girl, I get it, the whole menstrual cup thing can be a bit weird at first.
When you talk about ‘catching’ your blood and ‘sustainable’ periods it can seem like a bit of a hippy movement. And it’s certainly not the best dinner party conversation topic!
But I’m telling you, it’s game changing and gaining momentum – everyday women are talking about this …on the streets! If you’re wondering what on earth a menstrual cup is, then you should probably read this earlier blog post first.
If you’re still not convinced, here are 10 reasons why your life will be better when you use a menstrual cup – we don’t call it The Better Period for nothing!
1. You will no longer fill up a bin with stinky pads and tampons each month. Or whole landfill sites over the course of your life!
2. You can wear it overnight without: a) fear of dying from toxic shock syndrome like you might if you wear a tampon to bed or b) feeling like you’re wearing a giant nappy to bed
3. There will be no more discreetly pulling pads or tampons from your bag and hiding them up your sleeve before heading to the bathroom at work, at a friends place or at your new beau’s.
4. You won’t have to spend your hard-earned every month on pads and tampons. Your menstrual cup can last for 10 years!
5. You can spend all day doing what you want, without having to change every 3 hours. You want to do an all day hike in the middle of your period? You do you, you’ve got 12 hours between changes!
6. You will feel fresher! We all know the feels of sitting around in a pad all day. There are many words to describe it, but fresh ain’t one of them!
7. You can get in touch with your flow. This may be a little too much information for some, but seriously how do you know how heavy or light your flow is when it’s being absorbed into a pad or tampon – you don’t! With your menstrual cup you can actually measure your flow – I’m serious, there are measurement lines on the cup.
8. Your vagina will be better off. Your tampon isn’t just absorbing your menstrual flow ladies, it’s absorbing all of the moisture in there, including your beautiful natural lubrication! Do you want a dried out vagina? I don’t think so!
9. Travel is easier. No need to pack a mountain of pads or tampons just in case, just throw in your menstrual cup and away you go. It makes things much easier too when you’re long-haul travelling!
10. And quite possibly the greatest thing of all, when you’re using a menstrual cup you will mostly forget you have your period (once you’ve gotten the hang of using it of course!)
There you have it, 10 pretty convincing reasons why the menstrual cup is going to make your life better!
Are you convinced to give it a try yet or are you already rocking the menstrual cup? Let us know in the comments below!
If you’re thinking of making the switch to a menstrual cup, there’s some things you need to know first! I’ve created a handy guide to help you choose the best menstrual cup for YOU. Each of us have our own unique anatomy which will effect which menstrual cup we should choose. Don’t worry I’ve made it easy to understand in The Better Period Guide to Choosing Your Best Menstrual Cup. You can download it below:
If you’ve got a friend who needs convincing, share these reasons with them and they’ll be jumping on the menstrual cup bandwagon with you in no time!
Ready to use your menstrual cup for the first time and need some tips? Check out my post 5 Tips For Your First Time Using A Menstrual Cup.
The Better Period
Ellie Heasman is a period blogger and founder of The Better Period. Ellie helps people on their journey to a better period through introducing them to the world of menstrual cups and period underwear, and sharing knowledge about the menstrual cycle and fertility awareness. You can join in the better period conversations on Instagram @thebetterperiod_ or find out more about Ellie here.